1/07/2014

PENELOPE'S CALENDAR by KOSTAS VARNALIS

 PENELOPE'S CALENDAR ( Odysseus wife )
( based on Homer's Odysseia )

It was Saturday. I had just closed my eyes late yesterday night, when I was woken by noises coming from the yard. I stood still to listen. A feast! Voices, songs, laughter. I sprang out of bed, I wore my hiton ( robe ) quickly, wrapped  up my veil and wore my belt around my waist. I took a torch and went down the stairs.
I couldn't believe my eyes! A table , from one end of the yard to the other, was set with food. On the table there were veal thighs and whole  pigs on the spit, cheese conservated in olive oil, and wine which I kept for Odysseus. Servant boys and girls, soldiers and gardeners and shepherds were all drunk. They smashed glasses and plates, swore and kissed. And Phemius, the one that I had sent away and the one who only sang about the dead kings' glories to  the living kings, was entertaining those beasts with the " κλέα ανδρών " ( men's glories )!..Men are only the kings! And the queens!.........

1. Who was Penelope?
a. Odysseus's wife
b. Homer's wife
c. Phemius's wife
d. a shepherd's wife

2. What was there going on on that Saturday night?
a. a race
b. a feast
c. a mourning
d. a meeting

3. Who was entertaining the people?
a. Homer
b. Varnalis
c. Phemius
d. Odysseus

4. The people gathered were ..........
a. soldiers
b. sepherds
c.servants
d. all the above


No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario